Thursday, May 13, 2010

Final Reflection

This semester in Life Drawing I have been focusing on many different aspects of the course. I feel like I have fulfilled many of them, and improved on all of them. Maintaining a blog has been an excellent way for me to reflect on my own work. Updating it weekly has helped me practice how to effectively communicate about my work, skills, and things to work on in the future. Understanding artistic anatomy was difficult at first; it was hard to find a balance between what I saw and what I knew and then draw it effectively. At first I focused too much on the bone structure that we were learning, but as time went on I improved on combining it with the knowledge of the muscles and of what I actually saw on the model. I enjoy drawing with a structural approach rather than painterly drawing, but it is a different mindset that took me a while to understand. At midterm, I really began to focus on understanding the form better. Also, my midterm report suggested creating more fluidity between parts of the figure. At the beginning of the semester I would draw contour lines anywhere on the figure without reasoning behind them; at this point in the semester I have trained my eye to see the plane-changes as well as subtle curves of the body. Spending more time looking at the figure and how it works together as a whole has really helped me. This is still something that I still want to improve on. I know that the ability to draw in this way will be beneficial in my career as an interior designer. It is important to be able to draw as a way to quickly convey an idea to a coworker or client. Also, it will help me understand the way forms are constructed.

Final Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mccarthyk2070/

No comments:

Post a Comment